Wellbeing Options FAQs

Who is the Wellbeing Options site for?

Wellbeing Options for is anyone looking for Bath & North East Somerset local information to support you, or someone you know or care for, to live a full and independent life.

What should I do if I need help using the site?

We hope that we have made a site that is easy for everyone to use. If you have any suggestions on how we can make this easier, please let us know by using the 'Contact' link or 'Feedback to us' button at the top of the page.

MyScript offers to help you find the information you need, you can contact them on 01225 310077.

How can Wellbeing Options support carers?

Wellbeing Options can support carers by providing information on activities and events for older people and/ or people with a disability. This could then give carers a break for a few hours.

Wellbeing Options also provides information of other services that might be able to provide some help or support to the person you care for.

See the ’Support for Carers’ section.

What support is available to help me stay living independently?

There are a whole range of groups, activities and clubs in Bath and North East Somerset that you might want to find out about. Information on these is on the website, along with how to get in touch with them.

There are also other care and support services you may want to consider that could help you to remain independent, such as domestic help (domiciliary care), aids, adaptions or equipment to your home and community meals (to name a few). All this information can be found on Wellbeing Options.

If you have been finding it difficult to manage at home, you can also contact Virgin Care on (01225) 396000 for advice and information about your options to help you remain at home.

What is Care & Support?

Care and Support can mean anything from help with washing, dressing or eating to getting out and about, getting back into education or keeping in touch with friends and family. More information can be found here.

How can I find out what my care and support needs are?

By having a Care and Support Assessment.

What is a Care and Support Assessment?

A Care and Support Assessment is a discussion between you (or the person you look after, if you are a carer) and a trained person either from the council or another organisation with whom the council works.

You will talk about the care and support needs you have and the outcomes you want to achieve to maintain or improve your wellbeing. The assessment is used to identify your care and support needs, and to discuss how these could be met.

How can I find out what benefits I might be eligible to?

Have a look in our Useful Links section at the top of the page, where you will find links to lots of useful resources and benefit calculators.

How can I find out if I can get financial help from B&NES Council?

A care and support assessment will determine this, and the assessor will be able to advise you.

What is a personal budget?

Following a Care and Support Assessment, if the council have agreed to pay for all or some of your care, you will get a personal budget. You can use this to choose the kind of support that suits you best to help you remain as independent as possible. You might choose for your care and support to be arranged by one of the organisations that work in partnership with the council who provide this kind of support, or you can arrange it yourself using a direct payment. More information can be found here.

What options do I have about where I live?

Why not have a look on the Where should I live page for more information?

Care Homes - what is the difference between a Residential and Nursing Home?

A care home can be a residential or nursing home or both. All care homes can provide the personal help that people need 24 hours a day and seven days a week. Some homes cater for people with different needs, for example people living with dementia, older and younger people with physical disabilities and people with learning disabilities.

Nursing homes are the same as above but they also employ nurses to look after people’s medical needs.

Have a look at the Care Guide for more information.

Is a care home for me?

Moving into a care home is a big decision. If you have been finding it difficult to manage at home, you might be thinking about moving into a care home. You need to be certain it’s the best option for you; it’s important you make the right choice. The Care Guide provides lots of information about making the decision to go into a care home.

Can I get help with Care Home fees?

Have a look on the Money and Personal Affairs section.

What do I do if I don't think the care home is up to standards?

You can complain to the manager of the care home. Or you can contact the Care Quality Commission to share your experience.

You can also contact the commissioning team at Bath & North East Somerset: Karen E Green on 01225 396441 Email. karen_green2@bathnes.gov.uk

What is ‘Your Care Your Way’?

It is a review of community health and care services. It will bring services together, so people only have to tell their story once, and this information is passed to relevant services. This means that at critical times in your life, like going home from hospital, all the relevant services will know about it and know how best to help you.

How will ‘Your Care Your Way’ support me?

‘Your Care Your Way’ puts the person at the centre of their care. By bringing services together, and the joint working, it will be easier for you to access help and support when you need it, without having to explain your circumstances to everyone. More information about ‘Your Care, Your Way’ can be found here - http://www.yourcareyourway.org/.

What is the Care Quality Commission (CQC)?

The CQC are the independent regulator of health and adult social care in England. They monitor, inspect and regulate services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety and publish their findings, including performance ratings to help people choose care. For more information about the CQC and to access inspection reports, go to www.cqc.org.uk.

How can I make a complaint about adult social care and health (including Care Homes)?

There is lots of information about making a complaint on the Councils website:


Alternatively, have a look at the Local Government Ombudsman’s website which explains their role including how self-funders can complain directly to them.